Search This Blog

Friday, September 16, 2011

Shootin' Some Serious Hoop

I wouldn’t consider myself to be a basketball expert, but I’ve spent many hours developing a very respectable jump shot. I had previously played a casual game of H.O.R.S.E. with my friend Jenna, and decided I could help her learn a little bit more about shooting some hoop.

The jump shot is critical to a basketball player’s skillset. Much argument can be had about what is a “proper” jump shot. Practically since Dr. Naismith invented the game in 1891 there have emerged instructional videos, camps run by people like Jimmer, and even instructional books dedicated to teaching this art. I learned in a way more consistent with folk knowledge. My dad taught me as I shot baskets in the driveway nearly every evening before dinner.


          

  It was interesting that as soon as I started teaching Jenna, I started using techniques that my dad had used when teaching me how to shoot. I thought that through my years of basketball I had developed my own teaching method, or more sophisticated techniques. What I found instead was that I had emotional connection to the evenings spent in a freezing driveway with my dad, and this was more important than the basketball camps where I paid a lot of money to learn their specialized techniques. This illustrated to me why folk knowledge and its teaching methodology sometimes succeeds where authoritative sources fail. When something becomes emotionally important, there is a greater stake in learning as much as possible, and also in transmitting this knowledge in a desirable way.
            I realized that I only had a very limited amount of time to teach Jenna, so I condensed my lesson into three easily memorized steps. In this way, she didn’t perfect each step in one lesson, but she will be able to work on these three things on her own if she so desires. I equipped her with the tools to succeed; it’s up to her to utilize them. It was a “light bulb” moment for me, and I realized that I can apply this technique any time I am called upon to teach something.

            It was a fun experience trying to come up with a skill I could be considered an “expert” at, and then helping somebody learn it. I look forward to transmitting this folk knowledge with my own children.

2 comments:

  1. I like this part of your post, Alex: "folk knowledge and its teaching methodology sometimes succeeds where authoritative sources fail. When something becomes emotionally important, there is a greater stake in learning as much as possible, and also in transmitting this knowledge in a desirable way."

    It would have been nice to hear a bit more about Jenna's interaction with you and how you taught her. Did you try to convey the importance of emotional engagement with the desired skill?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do think learning is more effective when there is an emotional tie. I don't think it is always possible, or even appropriate, but in this case there was. Jenna and I are, as you might say, "crushing" on each other. I won't be so bold as to presume she learned these skills perfectly because we've been on a few dates, but I do think our basic emotional connection affected her desire to learn and retain.
    In a setting where the relationship is more professional or distanced, emotional engagement needs to be established by displaying a passion for what you're teaching and applying the lesson to the student's personal experiences.
    Folk knowledge lends itself better to emotional significance, as it is often passed on by friends, family, or other loved ones.

    ReplyDelete