Search This Blog

Sunday, September 11, 2011

My Response to the Trumpet's Call...

(I hope this title does not come across sacrilegious)... Anyways, my response to James' post is too long, so I decided to put it in a separate post. Here it goes:

I have thought a lot about your question: "What is our reaction to a trumpet's sound?" I'll be honest, that has never crossed my mind before, but it is so true that we all have a certain reaction to the sound of its call; trumpets strike a very powerful chord within us. They make us stop short in our tracks. (Perhaps this is why our car horns sound like a trumpet blow?) Whether its the pitch or the amplitude that make you alarmed, inspired, or reverenced, there is no doubt that is has an effect...but WHY? Because this isn't something we have been taught by our parents, in school, etc. This is something more internal...and as I got thinking more about it, the word trumpet kept associating with verses of the scriptures. So I turned to them. It is amazing what I found:

Trumpets are referenced over and over again as the musical instrument associated with God, His work, and His Plan. Whether it is:
  • For His Enjoyment, "Trumpets and sound of cornet make a joyful noise before the Lord, the King" (Psalms 98:6).
  • For Rejoicing, "all the people of the land rejoiced, and sounded with trumpets" (2 Chronicles 23:13).
  • To Congregate, "he shall send his angels before him with the great sound of a trumpet, and they shall gather together the remainder of his elect from the four winds, from one end of heaven to the other." (JST Matt 1:37)
  • For Preparation, "And angels shall fly through the midst of heaven, crying with a loud voice, sounding the trump of God, saying: Prepare ye, prepare ye, O inhabitants of the earth; for the judgment of our God is come." (D&C 88:92)
  • For Missionary Work, "For verily, verily, I say unto you that ye are called to lift up your voices as with the sound of a trump, to declare my gospel'" (D&C 33:2).
  • For Reverence & Peace, "So Joab blew a trumpet, and all the people stood still, and pursued after Israel no more, neither fought they any more" (2 Samuel 2:28).
  • To "Blow the trumpet in Zion, sanctify a fast, call a solemn assembly" (Joel 2:15).
  • To Praise Him, "Praise him with the sound of the trumpet: praise him with the psaltery and harp." (Psalms 150:3)
  • To Announce the Coming of Christ (in the Second Coming), "For the Lord himself shall aescend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God" (1 Thes 4:16).
  • And my Favorite: In D&C 77:12, it reads "Q. What are we to understand by the sounding of the trumpets, mentioned in the 8th chapter of Revelation? A. We are to understand that as God made the world in six days, and on the seventh day he finished his work, and sanctified it, and also formed man out of the dust of the earth, even so, in the beginning of the seventh thousand years will the Lord God sanctify the earth, and complete the salvation of man, and judge all things, and shall redeem all things, except that which he hath not put into his power, when he shall have sealed all things, unto the end of all things; and the sounding of the trumpets of the seven angels are the preparing and finishing of his work, in the beginning of the seventh thousand years—the preparing of the way before the time of his coming."
I love that God sounds His trump for the preparing and the finishing of His work; for the call to begin, and for the celebration of its closure. And that's why (and for all the reasons above) I think that the sound of trumpets resonate within us--because we have a heritage beyond this world, a memory deep inside us that responds to His call.

5 comments:

  1. Trumpets certainly are "the" instrument of the scriptures. I wonder if that is merely because trumpets (or various horns) are older instruments or if there is a deeper message (other than what we've discussed, that is).
    I liked your point about car horns, I hadn't thought about that. Society has certainly incorporated these influences we feel from instruments into our lives, whether it was a conscious action or not.
    I also really liked your suggestion that perhaps we remember trumpets from our past life and perhaps that's why they affect us so much now. I certainly wouldn't count it out as a pre-mortal influence. Incidentally, anyone ever noticed that the computer doesn't recognize "pre-mortal" as a word? (It does recognize "ante-mortal," though, which is interesting since that term is rarely used outside of the LDS faith.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the research and the application to the gospel...Trumpets definitely seem to hold a special place with mankind, and especially our holy scripture. We all learn that a song of the righteous can be a prayer unto god, and I too wonder what makes these trumpets so special. Is there something truly divine about this instrument? Or is it merely the religious manifestation of years and years of folk tradition.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Is there something truly divine about this instrument? Or is it merely the religious manifestation of years and years of folk tradition."

    It's not the instrument itself. I've heard more than my share of crappy trumpet playing to know that. I do know that I can have an effect on people through my horn though. I have played at two funerals and several flag ceremonies that have been rife with emotions. A decade ago, on September 12, 2001, my band director played taps at sunrise as a vast majority of my school actually gathered in prayer before the school day started, mourning the lives lost the day before.

    I do think that the skill of playing a trumpet can be a divine talent that often shows during both the best and the worst of times, pointing people back to God. Here's a twist for you though, if I can do such things with a small metal instrument, what can we accomplish as instruments in the hands of God?

    ReplyDelete
  4. James I cant tell you how much I love your quote, "If I can do such things with a small metal instrument, what can we accomplish as instruments in the hands of God?" Wow, I'm going to be thinking a lot about that one! Gosh, that really stresses the importance of living you life to its fullest, and being the best you can be so you can always keep yourself in tune, and always be prepared to be useful whenever you are called.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I commented on this yesterday, but apparently it did not successfully submit, which is okay as I would like to add more than what I originally wrote.
    I am impressed with your extensive research, Brenda. Thank you, for enlightening me. It fascinates me to think about the spiritual implications/realm of music whether it be singing, the trumpet, or another instrument. These truly are divine gifts when used in the ways you and James described and have the potential to truly uplift, touch, and inspire others.

    James, Wow, that's perfect. We have so much potential to do GOOD and share music in people's lives. Obviously instrument has more meanings than just being a tool or musical connotations . . . There also is the negative definition of taking advantage of someone which is like Satan counterfeiting God’s truth. Adding to what you said, instruments cannot fulfill their purpose on their own and are relatively useless if left untouched, that is unless you want it to be an admirable decoration, but were we met to just stand around and look at each other? No. In interacting together and working together we make the biggest difference. It takes a person to use an instrument to fulfill the instrument's purpose and make a difference. We can be in harmony with God’s will as we are truly instruments in his hands and spread the music of his love and light as we serve, learn, grow, and reach out to others.

    ReplyDelete