Search This Blog

Thursday, September 8, 2011

Svvveeeeden, ya?


My family has always been one to do family history research, and consequentially from a young age I heard many stories about people from a mysterious place called Sweden. Over the years I gradually put together a mental picture of their life in Sweden, what they might have looked like, and even what they sounded like. As I was reviewing this mental portfolio just barely, I suddenly realized that none of it was based on research, lesson, or even lecture. I had shaped a view of an entire culture based entirely off stereotypes.

I have never heard a swede talk, and yet I imitate my great grandfather August Omer laying bricks with an obnoxious and over the top Swedish lilt. I’ve met only a few Swedish women, but I imagine them all as clones of Annika Sorenstam. I also guessed their entire economy to be based around affordable furniture.


I believe that stereotyping must be a form of folk knowledge. Children and adults can be entirely ignorant of world affairs, and yet spew generalities that, although often hurtful or simply untrue, are based in some fact. Something as broad as the political climate, to something as narrow as a single influential acquaintance can proliferate these generalizations.

My sister did something quite impressive. Instead of accepting these generalizations as her only source for knowledge about our ancestor’s lives, she did independent research and is now the family authority on the matter. While what she learned was from books and the Internet, and thus not folk knowledge, the traditions she has incorporated into our family will be learned by my siblings through the osmotic process we see with folk knowledge. And, thanks to her, some of these traditions, such as authentic Swedish dishes and traditional Swedish Christmas activities, will live on in our family.

My hope is that we can realize our own tendency to stereotype, whether inherited or acquired, and then do something to dispel this unfortunate form of folk knowledge.

7 comments:

  1. I'd like to further research stereotypes that existed in previous centuries...there seems like there would be bounds of interesting information about racism and the like in ancient cultures. This was a very shallow look at how I believe stereotyping is a type of folk knowledge, and there is much more that I'm interested in learning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I laughed at the Ikea reference. The thing about you stereotyping Swedes- and any other group of people- is that stereotypes are generally factually based. Over-exaggerated, maybe, but factually based. For example, most Swedes have that fair-skinned, blonde-haired, blue-eyed complexion. Generally speaking, people from Sweden would do the same thing just like people from China would eat lots of rice, people from Mexico would like bullfighting, and people from Utah would like- I don't know, what do people in Utah like? Getting married after knowing each other for less than a year? Pizza places? I just guessed that since there are like six just outside of campus, but that may just be because we're in a college town...

    So anyways, stereotypes in any culture are factually based, even if only on generalizations, and then exaggerated. And you probably will be able to find tons of information on stereotypes in the ancient world against people who still feel oppressed today (ethnic minorities and women especially), even though I would imagine that many of the stereotypes that did exist in the ancient world now have little or no recorded information still in existence that someone can actually access simply because people haven't tried to find them. People with six toes on one foot don't care if people with six toes on one foot three thousand years were oppressed because they aren't oppressed today. I guess that what I'm saying is that things large parts of society care about today, especially with (discriminative) stereotypes, can be found about from the ancient world because people have researched it and looked into it, while there has been no substantial looking for classical opinions of those with an extra toe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with what you have to say Jared. Only sometimes stereotypes don’t apply to everyone, can be twisted, etc in which case they are no longer truths. Just because many Mexicans are hospitable and love to feed their guests doesn't mean that every Mexican does this. Just because there’s lots of violence in northern Mexico doesn’t mean you’ll be shot if you go there. (duh). People have differences even within a large culture. However, there are identifiable patterns that help to create a cultural identity (not that drug cartels are necessarily part of the Mexican culture). Other people from other cultures notice these patterns, especially when different from their own culture, and stereotype them for better or for worse. If the stereotype is based in ethnocentrism, then misunderstandings often occur which can lead to problems. However, positive stereotypes can reinforce a cultural identity.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Like the famous Mormon stereotype (that all Mormons have multiple wives), although it is factually based, it is not true-- not because it is exaggerated or partially true, but outdated, and no longer practiced. Basically, I am agreeing with all of you, just adding another way stereotypes become stereotypes.

    And Alex, I'm sure its fair to say that stereotyping has been second nature (folk knowledge) for as long as humans have been on the earth. I think its just part of who we are...our at least our natural man. Why else would the scriptures tell us to judge not and love one another?

    Ps: Jared, bullfighting comes from Spain...not Mexico :). Perhaps one day we'll hear of Mexican bullfighting stereotypes and we'll know who is to blame for it!! Haha just kidding :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Since we've established that stereotyping is a process that is simply going to happen when humanity is around, it may be useful to pay attention to which stereotypes we fill, and use them to help define ourselves. For example, I suspect you'll get a pretty good idea of who I am if I tell you that I am tall, a band geek, an eagle scout, a Mormon, and a nerd. (No I don't play basketball, Frisbee is my sport of choice). I don't consider any of those stereotypes to be offensive, and I'm much more likely to find friends who own similar quirks than I am to befriend a sports car enthusiast.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stereotyping as a kind of folk knowledge is a great concept to think about, as many of you have demonstrated. This is tied to issues of personal identity (we define ourselves in contrast to others, whom we stereotype), to political loyalty (think Spartans vs. Athenians, French vs. English, etc.) and to cognitive issues (we require broad categories in our minds in order to deal with the complexity of data). Some good starting points.

    ReplyDelete
  7. James, if blogging were facebook, I would "like" your comment. Way to be who you are and proud of it!

    ReplyDelete