Search This Blog

Thursday, October 27, 2011

Cursive? Old-fashioned or worth reviving? (A Response to Alex's Post)

Alex's post (In the Know(ledge): Miscellaneous Mesopotamia) got me thinking about different forms of handwriting and the devolution of handwriting in the United States. Our letters haven't changed, but the style in which we write them has changed. Think back to the formality of the calligraphy used to write the Declaration of Independence and John Hancock's classic, lavish signature. . . Now think of your own signature. . . Are they of the same quality? Probably not, but does it matter?


Cursive handwriting is like a simpler version of calligraphy as the letters are still connected together and was developed as a speedy method for writing. In fact, the word cursive is derived from Latin curro, currere, cucurri, cursum, which means "to run, hasten" (Source).


Did you learn cursive in elementary school? If so, how often do you use it today? I use cursive every time I sign my name and for fun every once and a while when I know it's okay if my handwriting is borderline illegible. My cursive is so pathetic, that my mom even made me practice my cursive signature before she would let me sign my drivers license. . . (Embarrassing)
I began learning cursive in elementary school where teachers told us that we would only be able to use cursive handwriting in middle school. . . Then I got to middle school, where only one teacher made me use cursive. To my dismay, She decided half-way through the year that all students should write in cursive. . . That was the last and only time I ever had to and/or chose to use my meager cursive skills as my primary form of writing in class. Thankfully, I am not the only one not using cursive. . . 

Many schools–approximately 41 states–throughout the nation have eliminated cursive from their curriculum. A few states have chosen to keep teaching cursive. This is a result of the new  Common Core State Standards for English set by the US National Government, which does not include cursive in the curriculum. I learned about this from a report on the debate of cursive in schools on ABC News  entitled: The end of cursive?  Many argue that it is no longer necessary, because as the world becomes more tech savvy, typing is more useful to students. Also, it's not tested as part of No Child Left Behind, so why spend the time teaching it? (Another interesting question: Should schools teach towards tests? Based on our classes philosophy, I would say no.)


Much research still supports learning cursive in schools. Research shows that students who handwrite material learn it better than those who type it. Learning cursive also helps students develop fine motor skills and provides another outlet for developing one's artistic abilities. However, this article does not answer one of my lingering questions: I wonder what if there are significant differences in cognition and retention skills between learning how to write well in cursive verses print handwriting?


Another possible problem brought up in this article is students having inept signatures. How significant is a signature anyway? What happens if a student can't sign their name in cursive? I would imagine it would be okay to just print one's name. However, no matter what, you just can't replace the personal touch of aesthetically pleasing handwriting. 

5 comments:

  1. I would have to do more research to try and comment on if writing in cursive improves retention...But I do have a comment on signatures. I believe that they pose sort of a problem. Cursive, as you mentioned, is going the way of the dodo. Thus, many signatures, including my own, are fairly simple. As identity theft becomes an increasing issue, signatures are often being used as proof of identity. But with increasingly simple signatures, the ease of copying them is increasing. Will credit card and check manufacturers tell us to "get a better signature"? Or will we move to a form of unique digital signature, or a finger print system. We have many resources going forward for this, and many issues that would surface for each. Right now, signatures still make the most sense...but I certainly feel this is being affected by our increasingly digital society.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah Alex, that is really interesting. In fact, some time ago when I was signing up for some account for something (I think it was FAFSA?), they had me choose an icon that I would have to recall when signing in to verify my identity. I think this illustrates what you are saying by having a unique digital signature.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha, I can just imagine one of those machines you slide your credit card through and then sign abruptly stating "Your signature is illegible. Please try again."
    When you mentioned that some states have eliminated teaching cursive, I thought "well, mine isn't one of them." But then you said that only 9 states still did, and I thought "Wait- is mine *really* one of those that still does? I mean, this was 10 years ago that I learned cursive in elementary school..."
    Personally, I usually write with a kind of joining of letters like in cursive, but I never think of it as being cursive. In fact, I was writing something nicely (or trying to make it nice) in cursive Monday (I was supposed to have been putting my signature on something and may or may not have put "Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore" instead...). When I got to the "f," I thought to myself "this is taking too long" (It's a very long name...) and just sped through the rest of the name in a probably-hard-to-read print. So even those of us who learned cursive in school aren't using it as much. I wouldn't be surprised at all if it fell out of use.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, I've noticed my handwriting is a hybrid of the two. I transition some of my letters in a cursive style if it makes it faster, but there's a lot of print in how I write. And the thing is, it gets the job done! And that's what really matters, right?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Think about when you sign your name when you use a credit card. . . It often looks like chicken scratch (at least in my experience) and they still accept it. I guess the only thing that matters is that YOU do it yourself. Draw a smiley face and the machine accepts it. . . Is this really an effective way to ensure your identity?
    Brenda, I am curious. I haven't heard about these digital icon signatures before. . . What does it consist of?

    ReplyDelete