Search This Blog

Monday, December 12, 2011

Preliminary Post for the Salon (speaking of which...I could use a haircut)

This is an un-edited, first thing that comes to mind type post. I tried to include specific examples in order for it to be more useful in our class salon setting. 

Unit 1 – Folk Knowledge

Self-Directed Learning: I started out by examining the ways in which folk knowledge had shaped some of my views (Sweden post). In deciding what I’d research for my next topic, I stuck with something that always interested me, which made for a more interesting post about tribal tattoos. In my quest for self-directed learning, I found the most productive way to do so was to relate topics to things you already enjoy or are passionate about. This led to my comment in the interview assessment about my bike epiphany.

Others’ Blogging: I enjoyed reading the other people talking about their learning from an expert experiences. I also various personalities began to emerge within our group’s blog.

Collaborative Learning: Best experience was this came immediately after my first blog post. Somebody in the group challenged one of the assertions I made in my post. Upon reading the comment, I realized that I didn’t believe a good amount of what I had just posted. The simple challenge of a group member made me realize that I had just been spewing boring stuff to make a necessary post. From then on I began to think more critically about my claims.

Projects/Activities: Teaching as an expert, learning from an expert. Many interesting aspects to these activities. I asserted that there was a tactile part of this experience that can not be imitated by other forms of knowledge transfer (digital, print, or otherwise). I also began a theme that would continue throughout the class when I said…”I don't necessarily think that anything is being lost when Matt develops his own techniques. Rather, the skill of omelet making is being refined and is given a unique personality. Should we mourn the loss of one specific way of making an omelet? I don't think we should, as long as the greater art still exists. We can celebrate variety.”


Unit 2 – Oral Knowledge

Self Directed Learning: I used daily experiences, such as my encounter with an urban legend, to shape my posting. This made my experience in class unique to me. Then we were assigned civilizations to work with. I found a controversial statement in my research that would later be disputed. My interview was one of my favorite moments of self directed learning in the class. I realized the value of going to an educated person for an interview.

Others’ Blogging: I occasionally took a gander at others with my same civilization in order to look for direction in my research.

Collaborative Learning: Brenda and Brianne disagreed with some of my material, and this would start a very healthy conversation and line of disagreement that still remains. Also began a very interesting discussion about how context is important for Oral Knowledge, and a debate about the importance of preserving languages.
Projects Activities: The group video assignment helped synthesize the subjects that our group had been discussing throughout the unit. The recitation of King Benjamin’s speech was stressful, and yet a memorable experience. It emphasized the ways in which our world has deviated from the Oral culture, but exposed a few ways in which it has retained this culture.

Unit 3 – Written Knowledge

Self Directed Learning: We continued with our assigned civilizations, but we had freedom on some of our topics. I chose to use some techniques that would add spice to my blogging such as interviews and demonstrations of topics. I started becoming interested in the effect on business writing (and later on, printing) had.

Others’ Blogging: I looked at a fellow Mesopotamian blogger a few times and was inspired by his cuneiform demonstration to do more of those kind of things on my blog. As a group, we all ended up addressing contracts and signatures.

Collaborative Learning: As a part of our group’s discussion on contracts, we were able to come to a better understanding of the importance of a written contract. There were disagreements, but these disagreements helped cement my own views. Once again I found myself on the other side of a disagreement with Brenda. This experience simply made me respect and recognize the varying opinions that there are on these topics.

Projects and Activities: Our group project brought a bunch of issues concerning translation and linguistics to the front of my mind. This had me questioning once again the validity of what we learn about ancient civilizations. I remarked on the simplification of ideas when working with foreign or complex medium.

Unit 4 – Print Knowledge

Self-Directed Learning: When I went to the King James exhibit, I decided to look for one specific thing that I was interested in. Also, when we were choosing topics, I focused on business aspects of things which has kind of been a theme for me this year.

Other’s Blogging: I was able to consult with other bloggers on my thesis, and on my thoughts about the business of books.

Collaborative Learning: This unit was shorter, and more project oriented so there was less of the discussion that usually went on. However, our intergroup topics provided some good research material.

Projects and Activities: The annotated bibliography reshaped my perception of the library. Future research projects will be viewed less apprehensively. I continued my business train of thought with my academic paper, and was hard pressed to support my claims.

Final Class Discussion

There were many interesting things discussed in our final, review of the semester. The thing that made the biggest impact on me was the small light bulb moment I had with my comment on how “skepticism can be a driving force in the quest for accuracy and discovery.”
           
Miscellaneous assertions:
·      Wikipedia, or other similar formats, could end up being very viable sources for research. The lack of official credentials makes anyone who views the information automatically skeptical at some level. Thus, those interested in furthering the knowledge of that subject area are forced to dig a little deeper, and in doing separate valid research would end up contributing to a more complete general knowledge.
·      Relying on a few recognized sources ends up being detrimental. Our versions of history would likely be far different if the “wiki” approach had always been in place. I assert that this approach would be better and more accurate.
·      It’s like the founder’s idea of “competing factions”. Disagreement on material necessarily leads toward more research, and eventual accuracy. Disagreement only happens when there is skepticism.
·      The authoritative model of learning is only perfect when there is perfect knowledge of a subject. No subject has been fully and perfectly understood.
·      Progression of knowledge is more important than preserving things that no longer have applicable use. They are interesting, to be sure, yet it is not a tragedy if they are lost.
·      Economics play a huge role in the evolution of knowledge systems. 

No comments:

Post a Comment