Search This Blog

Saturday, November 5, 2011

Creating My Maya Signature

Sticking with the ongoing signature theme, and because I am in the Americas group, as a preface to the project this week I decided to do some more in-depth research in how to write in Maya. I realize it is quite complicated and will be a challenging project.
I learned there are multiple ways to write syllables and sounds. Thus, people could often have a unique style in writing their name. For this post, I am going to attempt to write my name in Maya.
I got my syllable glyph information from Famsi.org
The Mayas used what is called a "syllabrary", like an alphabet, but with syllables. This means that consonants and vowels are paired together. The phonetics of the vowels in Maya are similar to Spanish.
My name is "Brianne".  Based on what I read, in Maya, this would translate into the syllables Ba-Ri-an-ne and would be meshed as one glyph based on the number of syllables.
However, because there is NOT a hieroglyph that represents R I use the L+i sign. (According to Famsi.org). Thus, the Maya syllables I will use are Ba-Li-An-Ne.
 I used this image showing compilations of glyphs based on syllables in another post. However, now I actually know what it means.

The first half image is an example of a simple In the latter half, glyphs are numbered. Glyphs change shape, significance, and position depending on the numbers of syllables in a word. Each number represents a different glyph that represents a syllable. Because my name has 4 syllables in maya, I will use the structure with only 4.



This Glyph represents Ba-The first syllable of my name.

This Glyph Represents the Li–the second syllable of my name.
This represents "An"-the third syllable of my name. 
This represents "Ne"-the fourth syllable of my name

Here is the final product! I assembled it and resized the glyphs in powerpoint as I am inept at art. . .

Here is my Maya Signature BRIANNE:

However, after creating this above hieroglyph, I realize it would be a literal translation of the English letters, and is not the most accurate as it does not take into account the actual phonetics. My name sounds like Ba-Ri-An in Spanish, as the "e" is silent. Thus, it would only be three syllables and arranged differently. (see first image above for structure). This demonstrates to me how it is important to translate the sounds, not just the letters and will provide an additional challenge as we attempt to translate and transcribe ancient languages this week. 
Here is my phonetically correct signature: (Not nearly as cool, but oh well.)

Both of these signatures are unique to me as there are about three different glyphs that represent each syllable. If I chose to, I could write this completely differently, but it would still have the same meaning. This adds additional complexity to understanding, translating, and transcribing the Maya language. I can't imagine carving this into stone or wood with the intricate details required to properly size and portray words, but am up to the challenge this week and will post on my hands-on learning experience next week. 

4 comments:

  1. Wow, who knew it could be so complicated to sign one's name!! Or maybe, like any new skill, it just takes a little time to become proficient. This makes me a little worried for this upcoming assessment. Excellent work Brianne! You've given me some good ideas and encouragement for my cuneiform tablet experience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Someone once told me that Japanese operates the same way for words that are foreign to their language. For example, for the name Amanda, they would break it down into the syllables (ah-man-dah) and for each syllable, they would find a word in their language that sounded similarly, and then they put those characters together. However, its a little more complicated than that because they have their language comprised of characters as well as their language comprised of letters, like we do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Breaking something down into syllables like that is what makes the most sense to me, too. I can't really come up with an example off the top of my head though because the other language I (sort of) know is kind of too similar to English for the same idea to work...
    I really like how you incorporated what we're doing this upcoming week in class into your blog post very well! It's also kind of amusing to look at the symbols and try to figure out what they look like (a jaguar head, no idea, a frowning woman, and a snake) and then think of how ridiculous it would be for someone to try to do that with our alphabet. They'd come up with things like "A" looks like a teepee and "J" looks like a hook even though these have no relevance whatsoever. Brianne, did anything you read say anything about whether these symbols are supposed to correlate to different objects/animals/etc?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know the significance of the glyphs besides that they represent certain syllables. That would be interesting to research though. I wonder how they even came up with the glyph system? Or why they have3+ glyphs that represent the same thing. In my research today in preparation for the project I read that there are over 1,000 Maya glyphs! I imagine the significance of all of them has yet to be discovered. That's an interesting idea Jared. Perhaps we could create a glyph alphabet out of ours just for fun ;)

    ReplyDelete